Causes of fibromyalgia
- The causes of fibromyalgia are unknown.
- There are probably many factors involved.
- Some patients explain that they have developed it after physical or emotional stress.
- The most likely hypothesis is that FM is caused by a disorder in the way the body processes pain.
- Several studies indicate that people who have a family member affected by FM are more likely to develop it.
- Genetic factors that may be involved in its origin are being actively studied.
- Disorders of the pituitary-hypothalamic-adrenal axis have also been described, a mechanism that the body also uses in its response to stress.