Silk protein is similar to human keratin and helps in the production of keratin protein.
Silk protein consists of 18 amino, More than ten of these are similar to the amino acids already contained in the skin. When the nutrient elements of silk enter the body, they are organically bound to skin cells and absorbed. The most abundant are:
- Aspartic Acid: a building-block of protein
- Serine: Proteinogenic, also a protein building-block
- Glycine: protein precursor, aids formation of collagen. Glycine is the simplest form of amino acid that the body can manufacture through the diet. It produces a protein that has a high concentration of collagen. Because of this, glycine can help to repair skin damage and to speed up the wound healing process.
- Alanine: provides energy for tissues. Alanine is another amino acid that the body is also able to manufacture through diet. Alanine is a great skin nourishing acid that can penetrate the epidermal cells. This helps to fill fine lines and wrinkles for a plumper, smoother appearance.
- Tyrosine: reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Valine: promotes tissue repair
- Threonine: key component of collagen, elastin and enamel proteins
Silk protein is beneficial for maintaining the normal function of the skin’s surface film. This film on the outermost layer of the epidermis prevents external factors from irritating it, prevents the evaporation of water, and protects the skin.
Silk protein can maintain water content of the skin and has the function of natural humidity-regulating factor. Because of silk’s molecular coil structure, the peptide chain is loose and disordered. This helps transfer water in the body to the skin.
Silk has the function of preventing ultraviolet radiation. Silk inhibits the formation of excess melanin in the skin, preventing the formation of dark spots and freckles.
There are two specific proteins in silk with skincare benefits: sericin and fibroin. Sericin forms a layer of protection over the skin and helps promote hydration. Fibroin helps repair skin cells and balance moisture levels.